Commercial baby food
Is one jar better than another?-
Commercial baby food has changed dramatically over the last several years. Today's baby food has less water, additives, no salt, and more "pure food." Organic baby foods have no sugar, preservatives, artificial flavors, colors or modified food starches.
Is one type of baby food better than another?
- The answer is based on personal preference for food types, packaging, and price. There is no evidence that one brand of baby food is better than another.
- Recent evaluation of baby foods suggests they contain a lower content of pesticides compared to our current fruit and vegetable supply.
- Buying baby food helps parents provide a variety of foods to their babies. Variety is important, and so is managing serving sizes which range from 2.5 to 6 ounces.
- A variety of foods are needed to build a healthy diet. Remember, the first two years is the perfect time to build healthy eating habits. Challenge your child with lots of different flavors and textures.
Your baby is ready for Stage 2 or 2nd foods when he or she:
- Sits without support
- Has good control of their head and neck
- Has started rolling over, scooting, or crawling
- Eats easily from a spoon
- Drinks from a sippy cup with no help
Adapted from Nurturing with Nutrition by Dr. Melanie Bezarte and Lucille Beseler, RDN
Subscribe Be the first to know