Feeding your toddler
9 Tips to remember when giving food to your little one-
- A toddler serving is usually a third to half an adult's portion.
- A toddler can't eat very much at one sitting, and may eat only 1 1/2 – 2 meals a day.
- Be patient and flexible in your approach to your toddler's eating.
- Food fads or jags are common, short-lived, and not worth concern. Ride them out.
- If your child regularly eats something from each of the food groups, he's likely to get all the needed nutrients over the span of a month.
- Mealtime should never be a power struggle.
- Refusing certain foods while eating others to excess is typical toddler behavior.
- Always remember, eating is your child's responsibility.
- Children copy adults: be a healthy role model and eat nutritious food in a mannerly way yourself.
Adapted from Nurturing with Nutrition by Dr. Melanie Bezarte and Lucille Beseler, RDN
Subscribe Be the first to know