Risk factors for diabetes in childhood
8 Causes of insulin resistance in kids-
Aminu Mohammed is a pediatric gastroenterologist at GI Care for Kids, where he leads the efforts on pancreatic disorders.
The chance of a child getting diabetes increases when:
- Other family members have diabetes
- You are African-American, Native American, Hispanic or Asian-American
- Your child is on steroids or certain antidepressants, antipsychotics, beta blockers, or statins
- Your child has had an injury to the pancreas due to infection, tumor, surgery or accident
- You or others in your immediate family has an autoimmune disease,
- Your child is overweight
- Your child has high blood pressure, high cholesterol or triglyceride levels,
- Those who smoke and older adults are also more likely to get diabetes.
Subscribe Be the first to know